This week’s adventure: After a fabuolous Friday night dinner (Arlequin, french food), and various stops, and a super fun Saturday adventure to Coyocan I fell into bed pretty hard. I woke up at 2am with the most severe eye pain I have ever felt. I swore I was going blind (early morning hypochondria). I called Dani (welcoming committee member) who came rushing over with her husband at 3am with all sorts of eye drops. She reassured me that I wasn’t going blind, and probably had conjunctivitus (pink eye). The next morning (or later that day) she picked me up and took me to the pharmacy. She came in to the “doctor’s” office to be of help in translating and for moral support.
The “pharmacist” asks what happened and Dani says, “You don’t speak English?”
“un pocito,” he answered.
“We’re English teachers,” Dani says.
“Datas (digits),” he replies putting a piece of paper in front of her.
“Oh no, no, we teach children.”
“Gimme the paper,” I say with one eye closed and the other half open, trying to keep out the light, and write down my phone number.
Ah, now we get started with the examination, which is as, Dani predicted, conjunctivitus. The antibiotics were like $15.00 and it has totally cleared up, and, the consultation was free (“clases de ingles”). Only in Mexico….
I am fascinated with the topic of “home” and what makes “home” and is it possible to take home wherever I go. And since it’s been awhile since I’ve made my home somewhere else I do not know. I think what was disappointing at first was that I had to work! That meant less time for exploring and playing, and having to dedicate a lot of energy and thought into my classroom, and perhaps what time I go to sleep, and what I eat. I’m not on vacation or on a study abroad program. Wah.
In the past week, here’s what happened:
- There’s more green spaces then I realized! My friend Ellen and I took the metro to Coyocan. There’s a beautiful park with lots of little gardens.
- I love my Saturday morning market (I didn’t have that in San Francisco!). I get fresh fruits and vegetables. I even found Swiss Chard last week! I also bought California peaches (sorry for not buying local!)
- I’ve been cooking and eating what’s in my refrigerator.
- I’ve made friends with the woman who cleans my classroom after school.
- There’s a coffee shop up the street that has great coffee!
- At 2am on Wednesday I found the source of the blasting music and told the kid to turn his damn music down! (I didn’t say “damn.” I gotta learn how to say that!)
- I found an amazing massage therapist.
- I’m realizing that I don’t love Mexico City yet, but it’s growing on me.
- I LOVE my class!